Himalaya Holiday Service
Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan & India Tours and Travel Operator
- Bhutan Highlights with Ura Yakchoe Festival
- A Cultural Exploration of Western Bhutan
- Bhutan West to East Traverse
- Cultural and Walking Tour of Thimphu and Paro
- Glimpse of the Dragon Kingdom
- Grandeur of Western Bhutan
- Paro Festival Tours 2013/2014
- Punakha Festival Tour
- The cultural exploration and walking tours of Western Bhutan
- The Cultural Heart of Bhutan
- Thimphu Festival Tour
- Western and Central Bhutan Highlights
- Druk Air Schedule
- Druk Airline Information
- 31st March 2013 - 14 May 2013
- 15th May 2013 - 26 October 2013
- Winter 27 Oct 13 - 31 Jan 2014
- Winter 01 Feb 14 - 28 Feb 2014
- Winter 01 Mar 14 - 31 Mar 2014
- Singapore - Paro (Bhutan) - Singapore
- Domestic Flight (31 Mar - 27 Oct 2013)
Bhutan Transhichho Dzong
Known as "fortress of the glorious religion", Traschicho Dzong, or popularly known as Thimphu Dzong, is an impressive structure that houses the Bhutanese government and stand on the right side of the Wangchu (Thimphu) River.
The Dzong originated with the building of Dho-Ngon (Blue Stone) Dzong on a hill above Thimphu River where Dechenphodrang stands by Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa. On the 17th century, the followers of Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa were completely crush by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and the the Dho Ngon Dzong fell into the hands of Zhbdrung.Zhabdrung rebuilt the fortress in 1641 and renamed it Taschicho Dzong (Fortress of the auspicious religion).
In 1694, the Dzong was enlarged by the 4th Desi Tenzin Rabgye. The Dzong caught fire in 1698 and was restored. In 1747, the Dzong was enlarged at the initiative of the 13th Desi, Chogyal sherab Wangchuk. The Dzong caught fire again under the reign of the 16th Desi, Sonam Lhendup, and 13th Je Khenpo, Yonten Thaye. After this fire, the Dzong was relocated to the present location.
His Late Majesty Jigme Dorji wangchuck took the initiative of renovating the Dzong in 1962. The entire Dzong was rebuilt in traditional fashion, without nails or written plans. The overall renovation works were overseen by Zopen Parpa Yodsel. In 1969, the earth Bird year, the Dzong was consecrated by Je Khenpo Thri Zur Thinley Lhendup, and Dorji Lopon Nyizer Tulku.
In the past, the national Assembly met within the Dzong. Today, it houses the secretariat, throne room, and offices of King of Bhutan. The northern portion is the summer residence of the Je Kehnpo and the Central Monastic Body.
Read other famous Dzong in Bhutan: